NS Deferment

Who needs to apply for NS Deferment?
Under the Enlistment Act, NS liable persons are enlisted at the earliest opportunity upon turning 18 years old.

For those who are studying, MINDEF does allow some flexibility for them to complete their full-time studies up to the GCE ‘A’ Level or Polytechnic Diploma (or their equivalent), both locally and overseas, before enlisting for NS. For ITE, NS liable persons will be granted deferment for Nitec or Higher Nitec courses if they are able to commence the course before 19 years old (for Secondary 4 Express and Normal Stream students) or 20 years old (for Secondary 5 Normal Stream students) as at 1st January of the course commencement year.

What is the procedure to apply for NS deferment?
NS liable persons may apply for deferment online at the NS portal (www.ns.sg) during NS registration and pre-enlistment documentation.

Documentary proof is generally not required for those applying for deferment for local studies. However, students may be randomly selected to provide documentary proof for verification. If selected, student will be required to submit to CMPB a letter from the school, certifying the enrolment, the course of study as well as the course commencement and completion dates. The letter can be obtained from the Customer & Visitor Centre at College East.

If students change course of study, they are required to obtain approval from CMPB before they may proceed to switch their course or institution.

If students need to repeat modules, and the repeat in modules result in extended course duration for the student, students are required to inform CMPB personally and obtain approval from CMPB.

If students are not granted deferment by CMPB, the training places in ITE will then be given to other applicants on the waitlist. Students can re-apply for studies in ITE as fresh applicants after they have completed their National Service. ITE will not reserve training place for students who are not granted deferment.

Who can I contact for further details on NS Deferment?
For further details, students may wish to contact the MINDEF eServices Centre at contact@ns.sg or Tel: 1800-3676767 (eNSNSNS).