5th School of Engineering Community Engagement Day
By Ms Lee Siew Lian, Senior Lecturer / Electrical Engineering, School of Engineering
All the School of Engineering Management, staff and students gathered at the Field on the morning of Friday 21 Oct 2016. Despite the heavy downpour, it did not dampen their high spirits. They displayed their ITE Care values and continued to be actively engaged in various activities. After the encouraging speech by our Principal, Dr Yek Tiew Ming, and flag-off by Dr Yek and School of Engineering (SOE) Director, Mr Loh Kum Fei, all the staff and students proceeded to their respective holding bay to wait for the commencement of the activities. There were a total of 29 buses parked along Upper Changi Road to send the staff and students off for their various activities.
The activities conducted were as follows:-
- 3M50 Step-Up Challenge @South East Mass products distribution
The staff and students were engaged in conducting survey, distributing and explaining the 3M products to the recipients and other activities in the following venues:-
- Bethesda Cathedral – Chai Chee Street and Bedok North Avenue 1
- Bedok Radiance SAC – Bedok South Avenue 2
- Changi SPICE Day Care – Upper Changi Rd North
- Tung Ling Community Services (Care & Friends Centre) – Dakota Crescent
- Hilda’s Community Services Centre – Jalan Batu and Old Airport Rd
- Peacehaven Bedok Multi-Service Centre (Daycare) – Bedok North Rd
- Kembangan Chai Chee SAC – Chai Chee Rd
- Yayasan Mendaki – Chai Chee Rd
- Sunlove SAC – Chai Chee Avenue
There were planting of more than 500 shrubs along Simei Park Connector by NParks staff and landscape staff and students.
- We Clean-Up in ITE College East:-
The Campus-We Clean-Up was successfully carried out with the collection of 16.5 kg of general trash and 25.3 kg of recyclable trash.
In conclusion, the 5th Community Engagement Day was successfully implemented, with the support, effort and enthusiasm from Principal, Dr Yek, Deputy Principal (Academic), Mr Lim Teck Lee, SOE Director, Mr Loh Kum Fei, SOE Management, staff and students.
The Community Engagement Day would be such a success without the hardwork from the Organising Committee:- Bernard Koh (Advisor), Teo Hock Bee, Othman Mohammed, Chow-Lee Siew Lian, Ng Shoo Ming, Othman Sood, Peter Daniel Tan, Sharil and Salleh.
Thank you and till we meet again in 2017!